The African Studies Association of the University of Wisconsin-Madison, has two members-nominated fellowships available for African scholars, with additional fellowships to be made available contingent on funding for 2018/2019.
Application Deadline: 20th March 2018
Eligible Countries: African countries
To Be Taken At (Country): USA
Type: Fellowship (Academic)
- Applicants must be based in a higher education institution or an organization on the African continent and should be able to demonstrate a scholarly commitment to work on issues affecting Africa. Please note that preference will be given to junior scholars – which we understand as scholars about to complete their Ph.D. or within 5 years past completion.
- All applicants must be nominated by a current ASA member. If you are an applicant interested in the Program, you may consult the ASA’s Membership Directory to find and contact an ASA member who can nominate you. Please note that the Membership Directory is only available to members of the African Studies Association, via the ASA Membership Portal. Please visit the ASA Membership Portal to obtain information about becoming a member of the ASA and to register for ASA membership. We encourage you to renew your ASA membership and register for the Annual Meeting. You can register online through the myASA Member Portal.
- The nominating member must be willing to host and mentor the Fellow during their visit. Hosting and mentoring is understood as the following:
- Ensuring that the award recipient attends as many conference-related events as possible.
- Support the award recipient with networking during the conference.
- Arrange for a visit by the scholar to one or more institutions, both for the purpose of presenting their research, and forming networks (travel will be arranged by the host institution unless otherwise agreed).
- Nominations must include a proposed itinerary during the institutional visit(s), detailing possible events and meetings the Presidential Fellow may have. If possible, please include information about available financial support for the Fellow and the visit.
Number of Awards: 2 (with additional fellowships to be made available contingent on funding).
Value of Award: The ASA Presidential Fellows Program provides opportunities for academics and practitioners with a scholarly interest in Africa to travel to attend and present at the ASA Annual Meeting, visit institutions of higher learning in the United States, engage with academics working on Africa-related issues, and to explore opportunities for collaborative ventures.
How to Apply: The deadline to apply for the 2018 program is Tuesday, March 20. You can submit your nominations via our online form.
Award Providers: African Studies Association of University of Wisconsin-Madison.