Looking for scholarship to study in UK for Nigerian students?
According to study by UNESCO, UK is the number destination for Nigerian students studying abroad. And Nigerians make up 7% of the total UK University population. As a result, a number of universities, local and international organizations support Nigerian students to study on scholarship in UK.
Below is a comprehensive list of scholarships in UK for Nigerian students to study for undergraduate, masters and PhD.
Be sure to bookmark this page for future reference and updates.
Commonwealth ScholarshipsEach year, the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission (CSC) opens application for Nigerian students to apply for Masters and PhD scholarships. Following are available Commonwealth Scholarships
- Commonwealth Scholarship for Developing Countries – Masters and PhD. See UK universities that have part funding agreements with the CSC.
- Commonwealth Shared Scholarship Scheme set up by the Department for International Development (DFID) in 1986, represent a unique partnership between the United Kingdom government and UK universities and the candidates country (in this case Nigeria).
- Commonwealth Split-site Scholarships – PhD in UK and Nigerian Universities
- Commonwealth Professional Fellowships for Commonwealth Developing Countries to support mid-career professionals to spend a period of time with a UK host organization working in their field for a programme of professional development.
- Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarships, at UK Universities cover overseas tuition fees at Master’s degree-level and are open to candidates who are citizens of a developing Commonwealth country.
Chevening ScholarshipsThe UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office established the Chevening Scholarship programme in 1983 and is now an internationally prestigious scheme with over 41,000 alumni including Nigerian students. Chevening awards enable Scholars to study a one-year postgraduate Master’s course in any discipline at any UK university. Applications for the 2016/2017 Chevening Awards open in August 2015. – www.chevening.org/nigeria/
University of Portsmouth Masters Scholarship for Ghanaian and Nigerian Students (2.2 and above)The scholarships will be in the form of a 20% fee reduction from any tuition fee but please note, it cannot be taken in conjunction with any other fee reduction or bursary offered by the University. The scholarship is a one-off award towards a one year Masters fees and is non-renewable and only valid for study on the courses listed in the link above
Johnson & Johnson Global Mental Health Scholarships for Developing Countries – UKLondon School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine is offering up to four Johnson & Johnson Global Mental Health Scholarships to students accepted onto the MSc Global Mental Health programme.
Fully-Funded Rotary Peace Fellowship for Masters and Professional ProgramsEach year, Rotary selects up to 100 individuals from around the world to receive fully funded academic fellowships at one of its peace centers. These fellowships cover tuition and fees, room and board, round-trip transportation, and all internship and field-study expenses.
Shell Niger Delta Postgraduate Scholarship SchemeEach year the Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria (SPDC) offers Postgraduate Scholarship for Nigerian Students from Rivers, Delta and Bayelsa States to study in UK for Engineering and petroleum related Science courses at selected universities in UK. The selected UK universities are Imperial College London, University College London and the University of Leeds.
Africa Initiative for Governance (AIG) Fellowship for Ghana and NigeriaTo achieve their objectives, the AIG will fund scholarships and Fellowships for outstanding Nigerians and Ghanaians to undertake intensive post-graduate world-class training in governance and public policy at the The Blavatnik School of Government at the University of Oxford.
PTDF ScholarshipThe Petroleum Technology Development Fund (PTDF), a parastatal of the Ministry of Petroleum Resources offers undergraduate, masters & PhD scholarships for students to study in Nigerian and Overseas universities, including UK.
NITDA Scholarships in Information Technology for (Masters and PhD)The National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA), with its mandate of transforming Nigeria into an IT driven economy for global competitiveness and the dire need to bridge the digital divide, has since 2010 established a Scholarship Scheme for Masters (MSc) and Doctorate (PhD) Degrees in relevant areas of Information Technology (IT) obtainable in Nigeria or Foreign / Overseas Universities.
NDDC Foreign Scholarships Program for Postgraduate (not offered last year)As part of its Human Resource Development initiatives, NDDC embarks on Foreign Post-Graduate Scholarship Scheme. The goal is to equip Niger Deltans with relevant training and skills for effective participation in the Local Content programme of the current Administration as well as compete globally in various professional fields.
Nigeria: University of Birmingham Outstanding Achievement Scholarships for Nigerian StudentsTo reward outstanding achievement and to help ensure that fears about finance do not constrain prospective international students from considering study in the UK, the University of Birmingham is pleased to offer a number of prestigious international scholarships for 2017 entry.
The Standard Bank Derek Cooper Africa Scholarships at LSE Fully-funded for Masters Students – UKThe Standard Bank Derek Cooper Africa Scholarships offer an exciting opportunity of funding for students who are ordinarily resident in one of Standard Bank’s African presence countries, with a preference for residents of South Africa, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, Angola, Mozambique and South Sudan.
The Ibrahim Leadership Fellowships ProgrammeThe Ibrahim Leadership Fellowships form a selective programme designed to identify and prepare outstanding African leaders by providing them with critical experience at the highest levels of multilateral organizations.
University of Oxford Scholarships for Undergraduate and GraduateOxford is home of a number of prestigious scholarship schemes.
- Over 900 fully-funded scholarships were available for new graduate students in 2018-19. The majority of scholarships do not require you to make an additional application; all applicants who apply to the University by the relevant deadline will be considered automatically. Webpage
- Reach Oxford Scholarships are offered to undergraduate students from developing countries.
- Eni Scholarship: St Antony’s College Oxford in partnership with the international integrated energy company Eni, offers students from African universities in Angola, Ghana & Nigeria, the opportunity of fully funded scholarships, including fees and living expenses, for Master’s degree at the University of Oxford UK.
University of Cambridge Scholarships (Masters & PhD)The university of Cambridge offer a variety of scholarships that Nigerian students can participate in.
- Gates Cambridge Scholarships are highly competitive full-cost scholarships. They are awarded to outstanding applicants from countries outside the UK to pursue a full-time postgraduate masters and PhD degree in any subject available at the University of Cambridge.
- University of Cambridge offer Scholarship for MPhil Programme in Conservation Leadership to Support Students from Less Developed and Developing Countries.
- The Cambridge International Scholarship Scheme – CISS is a prestigious scheme of approximately 80 full scholarships for international students. It was founded in 2009, and is funded by the assistance from the University of Cambridge, from external funding partners, and from Departments and Colleges that have agreed to contribute to these awards.
- The Microsoft Research PhD Scholarship Programme in EMEA (Europe, Middle East, Africa) was launched in 2004 and has so far supported more than 200 PhD students across the region. Each year by September, PhD supervisors from academic institutions in EMEA submit their proposals for collaborative research projects with Microsoft Research Cambridge.
- African Regional Busary at Cambridge University Judge Business School: A bursary worth up to £18,000 will be awarded to a successful African candidate. The School believes that Africa will be an increasingly important region, both economically and politically and is committed to developing the African talent pool.
Undergraduate & Masters scholarships at University of WestminsterEach year, the University of Westminster offers a wide range of scholarships for students from Africa and developing countries to study for undergraduate and masters’ degree at the university.
Loughborough University Graduate School Development Trust Africa ScholarshipsLoughborough University offers full-fee scholarships for international full-time taught postgraduate students who are currently domiciled (permanently living) in Africa. The scholarship covers 100% of the course fees for your chosen postgraduate taught course for one year.
Loughborough University Postgraduate International ScholarshipsOver 100 scholarships are available to new self-financing full-time international students who are permanently resident in a country outside the European Union (EU). Available in a range of subject areas these scholarships will be to the value of 25% of the programme tuition fee and that value will be credited to the student’s tuition fee account.
Gbowee Peace Foundation Africa Scholarship for Women in Liberia, Nigeria and Ghana – University of DundeeThe candidate should be aware that this scholarship is the University’s investment in the sustained growth of an individual and the betterment of a community at large. The candidate should indicate how she will use the studying abroad experience and the postgraduate qualification to locally or globally promote holistic transformation, facilitate equal access to opportunities for all, and encourage a peaceful, reconciled and empowered population in her home country.
Cranfield Sub-Saharan Africa Merit Scholarships for Masters Students – UKApplicants must be graduates with a first class honours or upper second-class honours undergraduate degree or equivalent in a relevant subject.
University of Sussex Masters Scholarship for African students in EconomicsThe Economics Department at the University of Sussex is offering a Masters scholarship for suitably qualified candidates from selected sub-Saharan African countries on either the Development Economics MSc or Economics MSc.
Study in UK: University of Sussex Masters Scholarships for Nigerian StudentsAs part of a wider initiative to invest in excellence, the University of Sussex is delighted to offer scholarships to overseas fee paying students from Nigeria admitted to start an eligible Masters course in September 2018.
University of Dundee Petroleum Technology Development Fund (PTDF) Scholarship for Nigerian StudentsUniversity of Dundee in Scotland is offering the Petroleum Technology Development Fund (PTDF) postgraduate Scholarship to Nigerian students.
University of Dundee Global Excellence Scholarship (Law) for Nigerian StudentsThe University of Dundee is offering Global Excellence postgraduate Scholarships in Law to outstanding a limited number of Nigerian students for the January 2018 academic session.
University of Dundee Energy Industry Scholarship (LL.M) for Nigerian StudentsEnergy has enhanced our lives: we have never been more connected and, today, more people have better opportunities, better health and better living conditions. This progress has been dependent on reliable, accessible energy. Given the vital role of the energy sector, the Centre for Energy, Petroleum and Mineral Law and Policy (CEPMLP) in partnership with the energy industry is offering a fully funded postgraduate scholarship leading to the degree Mineral Law and Policy LLM.
Various University of Dundee Postgraduate Scholarships for Nigerian StudentsThe University of Dundee is offering 3 different Postgraduate Scholarships to Nigerian students wishing to undertake degree programmes at the University.
University of Dundee Global Excellence Postgraduate Scholarships for Nigerian StudentsThe University of Dundee is offering Masters Scholarships to international students wishing to undertake degree programs at the University.
Africa Initiative for Governance (AIG) Masters Scholarships for African Students at University of OxfordThe Africa Initiative for Governance (AIG) Scholarships Programme is targeted at graduates between the ages of 25 and 35, some of whom may have work experience.
Undergraduate Scholarships at University of EdinburghThe University of Edinburgh offers a number of undergraduate scholarships for international students that are open for Nigerian students.
Postgraduate Edinburgh Global ScholarshipsThe University of Edinburgh offers a number of postgraduate scholarships for international students that are open for Nigerian students.
Scholarships at University of East AngliaThe university offers several scholarships for students from developing countries including Nigeria.
- School of International Development Masters Scholarship: for international students towards a Masters Degree program
- University of East Anglia Undergraduate Scholarships: for undergraduate students wishing to study at UEA.
Cardiff University Undergraduate International Scholarships in UKCardiff University offers undergraduate international scholarships. Students must be confirmed as an Overseas Student for fee paying purposes.
Cardiff University Postgraduate Taught International ScholarshipsThe Cardiff University Postgraduate Taught International Scholarships is offered by the university to international students. These scholarships are only available to self-funded students.
Newcastle University Nigeria ScholarshipsThe Newcastle University Nigeria Scholarship (NU Nigeria Scholarship) awards are available for high achieving Nigerian students applying for entry onto postgraduate Master’s degree programmes, commencing in September.
Developing Solutions ScholarshipsFounded in 2001, Developing Solutions is The University of Nottingham’s flagship international scholarship programme for postgraduate masters courses. The University of Nottingham UK offers up to 105 masters scholarships for a global future for students from Africa.
Eira Davies Undergraduate and Postgraduate Scholarship for African Women in SciencesThe Eira Francis Davies Scholarship, which shall be awarded from time to time by the Senate of Swansea University on the basis of academic merit and/or financial need and which shall contribute to tuition fees, shall be tenable for such period as determined by the Senate and shall be subject to satisfactory academic progress and to such other terms and conditions as the University shall stipulate.
Desmond Tutu Scholarships for undergraduate degree at King’s College London UKThe Desmond Tutu Scholarship is one of King’s Scholarships which will directly benefit students entering higher education.
University of Sheffield Nigeria Undergraduate ScholarshipsThe University of Sheffield offers a range of undergraduate (BA, BSc, BEng, MEng) scholarships to students from Nigeria who show exceptional academic potential and are starting their studies at the University of Sheffield in September.
University of Sheffield Nigeria Merit Postgraduate ScholarshipsThe University of Sheffield offers the Nigeria Merit Postgraduate Scholarships for students who show exceptional academic potential starting a postgraduate taught master’s programme at the University in September.
Nigeria Undergraduate & Masters Excellence Scholarships at Swansea UniversityThe International Development Office at Swansea University UK offer Nigeria undergraduate and postgraduate excellence scholarships.
Bristol University Think Big Scholarships for Undergraduate and Postgraduate International Students26 Think Big Undergraduate scholarships and 26 Think Big Postgraduate scholarships are available for courses starting in 2018.
University College, London scholarships
- African Graduate Scholarship for Students from Africa: The University College London has opened applications for its African Graduate Scholarship, open to African nationals currently residing in an African nation.
- IOE-ISH Centenary Masters Scholarships: Candidates should be citizens and residents of a low or lower-middle income country.
- IOE Centenary Doctoral Scholarships: Candidates should be citizens and residents of a low or lower-middle income country.
- University College London (UCL) Commonwealth Shared Scholarships: Awards are for taught Master’s programmes only, subjects must be related to the economic, social and technological development of a candidate’s country.
MBA Emerging Economies Leader for Social Change Scholarship at University of StirlingThis scholarship will be awarded to an exceptional International student who has the potential to be an ambassador for their course, to contribute to the academic community and to effect change in their home country.
GSK Scholarships for Future Health Leaders in sub-Saharan AfricaThree scholarships are offered to support the training and development of the next generation of leaders in global health, and strengthen the capacity of health systems and health-related research in Africa.
Commonwealth Eye Health Consortium (CEHC) Scholarships for Masters StudentsThe course provides eye health professionals with the public health knowledge and skills required to reduce blindness and visual disability in their population.
Leeds University Business School Scholarships for Kenya, Nigeria, India and VietnamThe award this year will be offered to all nationals of Kenya, Nigeria, India and Vietnam and will be used to aid select students in the payment of tuition.
Leventis Fellowship for Nigerian Academics at SOAS, University of LondonThe Centre of African Studies of the University of London UK invites applications from Nigerian academics to take part in a scheme of collaborative research funded by the Leventis Foundation.
University of Birmingham/UKEAS Nigeria Outstanding Achievement Scholarships for Undergraduate Nigerian StudentsThe University of Birmingham UK is offering a joint award with UKEAS for Nigerian students to apply for Outstanding Achievement Scholarships to pursue undergraduate studies
University of Essex Masters Scholarship for Select Countries – Nigeria, Ghana IncludedThe scholarship is awarded as a partial tuition fee waiver and is available for students on postgraduate taught Masters courses (excluding MBA).
Coventry University Nigeria Development Fund (Undergraduate and Masters Scholarship to study in the UK)The Coventry University UK is offering Undergraduate and Postgraduate Scholarships for Fee-paying Nigerian students applying for full-time courses.