Building on the successful model of the Clinton Global Initiative, President Clinton launched the Clinton Global Initiative University (CGI U) in 2007 to engage the next generation of leaders on college campuses around the world.
- Early Decision and Travel Assistance deadline is 11:59 PM 16th March, 2018.
- Regular Decision deadline is 11:59 PM 23rd April, 2018.
To Be Taken At (Country):
About the Award:
Each year, CGI U hosts a meeting where students, university representatives, topic experts, and celebrities come together to discuss and develop innovative solutions to pressing global challenges. Students create their own Commitments to Action that address issues on campus, in local communities, or around the world. Since 2008, students have made more than 6,250 commitments, and nearly $3 million in funding has been awarded to these commitment-makers through CGI U.
Applicants must be at least 18 years of age and currently enrolled in an institution of higher education at the time of application. (Ex: A student graduating in the Spring of 2018 would be eligible to apply.)
Students who will be at least 18 years of age and enrolled in an institution of higher education by October 2018 are also eligible to apply. (Ex: A high school senior who turns 18 years of age in June 2018 and commences university studies by October 2018 or a university graduate enrolling in an advanced degree program by October 2018 would also be eligible to apply.)
Number of Awards:
Value of Award:
- CGI U provides need-based travel assistance to a limited number of students to attend the CGI U meeting. You can apply for this assistance when you apply to attend CGI U (as noted below, students are only eligible for travel assistance if they apply by the Early Decision deadline).
- Students who apply Early Decision will also have an opportunity to apply for travel assistance. All applicants are encouraged to complete the travel assistance portion of their applications for CGI U.
- CGI U will negotiate room blocks at favorable rates with several hotels in the area where our meetings take place, which will be shared with registered students in advance of the meeting. There will also be an opportunity to request to share a hotel room with other attendees.
- CGI U will provide meals for attendees free of cost for the duration of the meeting.
- Students are encouraged to find additional commitment funding from a wide variety of outside sources.
- At the CGI U meeting, you will learn how to turn your ideas into action by engaging in topic-specific conversations, skill building sessions, and networking opportunities with youth organizations and other student commitment-makers.
- After the meeting, you can utilize commitment development resources available at cgiu.org, attend CGI U meet-ups in cities around the world, and stay connected with other students through CGI U Facebook and LinkedIn groups.
- You will also have access to your assigned Commitment Mentor until April 2019 to further enhance your commitment.
Duration of Program:
19 -21 October 2018
How to Apply:
- Apply Here
- Apply with a Commitment to Action: To be considered for admission, all applicants are required to design a Commitment to Action in one of CGI U’s five focus areas: Education, Environment and Climate Change, Peace and Human Rights, Poverty Alleviation, and Public Health. All applicants will be notified of the status of their application in May 2018.
- Nominate an Exceptional Student Candidate Here
Clinton Global Initiative